For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,...The King reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me" Matthew 25:35,40




Wednesday, December 28, 2011

She's flourishing!!










Goodness! It's AMAZING what God can do when He places an orphan into a family...who then becomes an orphan no more, but simply part of the family. I am in awe of how much Sophia Joy has changed in just over a month of having her (our Gotcha Day was Nov 21st). She's only been home for a little over 3 weeks and it is truly a blessing to watch her transform before our eyes. The nannies who took care of her said she didn't speak much only said about 2 or 3 words. I was a little concerned over that, but she was ours so it didn't really matter. Well, I am so happy to report that this girl can chatter with the best of them now! No, she's not fluent in English, but she can say quite a bit for only hearing English for a month! She can say Daddy, Mommy, Odie, Up, No...No...No, Yea, Help Mommy, Night-Night, More, and quite a bit more, but I can't remember them all right now. Sheesh...for only speaking 2 words in the orphanage to a list of over 10 English words in a month...I am impressed. When my good friend and I traveled to China to get Sophia we felt she was developmentally between 12 months and 18 months old in most things (she is 2 1/2 years old). For example, she walked just like a 12 month old who had only been walking a few days or so. She fell a lot because she was so clumsy. She had ZERO concept of stairs and would have walked straight off the top step if we had let her. Now, only a short time of being in a family she can run around the playground, climb the steps like a champ and go down the slide all by herself. Then she's ready to do it over and over and over again! The girl can jump up and down with both feet coming off the floor. This really may not sound like a big deal, but the girl could barely walk at 2 1/2 years old a month ago! She has also gained about 4-5 pounds since her medical check up in China. In China with her clothes on she weighed about 22.5 pounds. Last night, naked after her bath she weighed in at 27.5 pounds!! Of course that was right after dinner, but still!! Speaking of baths...Sophia had no idea how to play in the bath. This was evident the first day I gave her a bath. She let me wash her hair and her body and then immediately stood up for me to take her out. Now....she is swimming like a fish in the bath! She plays and plays and plays some more and would stay in until she pruned up if we let her. Daddy did a fabulous job the first week home with her. He bathed her every night and literally encouraged and taught her how to play. I am sure I can go on and on, but I will just leave you all with some great before and after pics. I was trying to upload a video, but haven't it doesn't seem to be working. I will keep trying though.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing transformation! Praise God! She even looks more vibrant and happy! So glad things are looking better for you all :)

    ReplyDelete