For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,...The King reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me" Matthew 25:35,40




Sunday, March 13, 2011

Faith Like a Mustard Seed

A verse that seems to be popping up wherever I turn is found in Matthew 17:20 "He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." If you haven't ever looked at a mustard seed...it is very, very tiny. This verse is encouraging yet convicting all at the same time. It reminds me that all I need is a tiny amount of faith to see God do great things. However, it reminds me at the same time that maybe I am not seeing all the great things God can do because my faith isn't even the size of a mustard seed! With the adoption of Sophia I feel we have certainly placed our faith in God to direct our steps. There are many things we have to work at not worrying about with her...her health, her "unknowns", if she is being loved and cared for well, her present, past and future, our lack of parenting skills for her, etc. But, I don't want to live a life of worry. It's wasted energy and it shows major lack of faith. These opportunities to worry are actually an invitation to come to the Lord in prayer and make my requests known to Him...and to leave it at that. Let God be God and let Jami be Jami. Our church is in the process of finding a new Senior Pastor. We are very fortunate to have a candidate right now. He came to speak today and it was very, very encouraging and convicting, much like the Scripture verse I wrote earlier. His message was thought provoking and his question to us was simple...If your life was a movie...would you watch it? It was an interesting way to lead into how many, including myself, try to cushion ourselves from any real discomfort or uncertainty...or (gasp) risk. But, just like a great movie...a great life must involve risk. Because if we never risk anything then when will we ever be able to grow our faith or allow God to work a miracle? So, with that said...I find encouragement in knowing that we are stepping out in faith, taking a risk with our adoption. But, that's okay, because I am in the mood to watch a really great movie about our life and who better to direct that movie than God Himself!

2 comments:

  1. Your words echo the thoughts of my heart. Adoption is in some ways very scary and out of our control. I am so thankful for a God that we can "wait upon". He is worth risking it all for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true Joy! I am definitly learing to "wait upon" the Lord with our adoption. Everything seems to be taking twice as long as I anticipated! Thanks for your words! Still hoping we can get together soon!

    ReplyDelete